Thursday, August 19, 2010

Cops assaulted me for nothing - motorist

A MAN from Alexandra has opened an assault case against local cluster police. Jeff Mhlungu said he was driving from a spares shop yesterday when he realised that his car was surrounded by five police cars. "I had just stopped at a robot when I heard a bang on the windows and police shouting 'get out, hands up'. When I got out they started assaulting me without saying a word," he said.

Mhlungu, 36, said he was forced to lie down on the road, and one policeman kicked him in the mouth and jumped on his head. "I did not resist arrest and I don't know why they beat me up," he said. Mhlungu said when the police searched him they found a gun on him. "I told them it was legal and showed them the licence," he said.

Speaking to Sowetan from Alexandra Clinic, Mhlungu said he was in pain as he was kicked in the mouth until his lips cracked. He said while the beating was continuing, another police car came with four policemen who told his assailants that he was not the man they were chasing. "That's when they stopped beating me. They only said 'sorry, you are not the first person to be beaten'."

Mhlungu said he was told that there was a robbery at Melrose Arch and the robbers had fled in a black Audi. "My car is charcoal, not black, and has a personalised number plate. I was driving from Lombardy East towards Alexandra, and I was driving slowly. All this should have been a sign to the police that I was not the person they were looking for," Mhlungu said.

Bramley police spokesperson Warrant Officer Moses Maphakela said a case of assault and pointing a firearm will be investigated.

Source: The Sowetan

No comments:

Post a Comment