Monday, February 22, 2010

I have nothing to hide, says Vavi

Zwelinzima Vavi, the man who called on President Jacob Zuma to introduce a lifestyle audit, says his life is an open book. "I want to lead by example. I have nothing to hide," he said on Sunday. He earns R42 000 a month and takes home R27 000. He pays R10 000 a month bond for his Morningside, Sandton, Joburg, house.

According to a deeds registry search, the house was bought for R2.9 million, and he and his wife have a R2m bond from Standard Bank. "I would not have been able to buy this house on my own; it was combined income from me and my wife," he said. Vavi also gets a housing subsidy from Cosatu. The registry shows Vavi owns a property in Birchacres with his ex-wife, Nikiwe, which they bought in 1995 for R150 000. It was bonded for the full amount and is paid off.

Vavi drives an Audi A6, which Cosatu bought for him four years ago and has no intention of changing it anytime soon.

He is not a director of any lucrative companies, but is a director of the Cosatu-linked Cubah Properties, and non-profit organisations the Chris Hani Institute and the 2010 Fifa World Cup Organising Committee South Africa. He also gets additional income of R8 000 a month from the local organising committee as its director.

Vavi went into fits of laughter when asked about his favourite designer clothing label, saying: "I don't wear labels. I wear African shirts and union attire... "To functions like the Budget speech and opening of Parliament I wear suits."

Vavi said the principle for Cosatu was that ministers should submit to a lifestyle audit. "You will see the difference between a union salary and a minster's. But ministers' salaries are relatively modest compared with those of CEOs, who are doing heinous crime against the economy." His son attends a former Model C school and he pays R300 a month.

Source: IoL

No comments:

Post a Comment