Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Mashatile supports his replacement

Despite the smiles and assurances that all was well between them, the tension between outgoing Gauteng Premier Paul Mashatile and his successor, Nomvula Mokonyane, was tangible on Tuesday. The top five leaders in the province held a press conference at the Gauteng Legislature on Tuesday to welcome the expected appointment of Mokonyane and dismiss rumours circulating of a fallout between herself and the former premier.

Mashatile and Mokonyane sat next to each other. Their eyes never met once. I'm very happy that comrade Nomvula has been appointed to succeed me. Her arms were crossed and her face stern, while Mashatile's legendary calm demeanour was marred by worry lines.

But he did manage to smile when journalists asked sensitive questions. Mashatile's smile appeared when journalists asked if there were now two centres of power in the province, and how he felt about Mokonyane being preferred as premier. "I'm very happy that comrade Nomvula has been appointed to succeed me as premier," said Mashatile. He said he and Mokonyane have worked together for more than 40 years and were firm friends. "In the many portfolios that I have served she has taken over from me, so we seem to be starting a trend here," said Mashatile. "Just this weekend we were talking and laughing about all the years we have worked together. So there is no problem in Gauteng and there is no problem between me and Nomvula."

In an interview with The Star, Mashatile said later that he was not surprised by the decision because ANC president Jacob Zuma had met and spoken to him before Mokonyane's appointment was announced. Before that point he did, however, believe he would keep his position as premier. "According to the Polokwane resolution, nominations must be submitted in order of priority," Mashatile noted. "There was unanimity in the province on that. I was the number one choice on the provincial executive committee. Nomvula herself supported that I be premier. But the NEC (national executive committee) said that if we go that route, there will be no women premiers. "I was consulted on the decision by the president, so I was not shocked. I knew it was going to happen. "Some members in the province were shocked, though, because they took it as a given that their preferred choice would be taken. "But we have discussed it, and all the organisations, including the Youth League, have accepted the NEC's decision. "The appointment of Nomvula is, after all, not the rejection of Paul Mashatile."

It was widely speculated in the media at the weekend that the NEC had decided to appoint Mokonyane in order to break the power of the so-called Alex Mafia, but Mashatile said yesterday this group was an urban legend and did not actually exist. "This view that I have created a powerful bloc or clique, that just isn't true. It is true that many of my friends have done well in business, and some are in government, like Mike Maile. "But really, they moved on in their lives and don't even stay in Alex anymore. It is a misconception that these guys are doing well because they know a powerful politician."

Asked what his future now held, Mashatile was quick to dismiss the idea that he would leave politics and go into business, saying he would be sworn in as a member of the Gauteng Legislature this week. "If head office approached me for a national position, I would accept that offer," he added. "I do still have to complete my role as chairperson in the province until next year, so I will still play a role in this province."

Mokonyane said she would be bringing in new blood "for innovation and fresh ideas" as members of her executive council.

Source: IoL

No comments:

Post a Comment