Sunday, September 30, 2007

I'll never be arrested - Selebi

National police chief and Interpol head Jackie Selebi has said he will never be arrested because a warrant does not exist, the early edition of the Sunday Times reported on Saturday. "I will never be arrested... If there is a warrant for me I will stand on the 10th floor of the Sandton Towers so that the Scorpions can arrest me," he told the newspaper.

Selebi was responding to numerous media reports citing reliable sources that the National Prosecuting Authority had obtained a warrant for his arrest last week. A search and seizure document was allegedly also obtained from the Pretoria High Court. "I am not bothered at all. For what must I be arrested? There is no such thing as a warrant. It does not exist. I will not comment on charges as there is no warrant," he said. The question of Selebi's possible arrest follows in the wake of the suspension of National Director of Public Prosecutions Vusi Pikoli by President Thabo Mbeki.

Mbeki suspended Pikoli on Monday, citing an irretrievable breakdown in the relationship between Pikoli and Justice Minister Brigitte Mabandla. On Saturday night, Government Communication and Information System spokesperson Themba Maseko said Mbeki had appointed Frene Ginwala to conduct the inquiry into Pikoli's fitness to hold office. Maseko said the former National Assembly Speaker had been appointed in terms of section 12(6) of the National Prosecuting Act 32 of 1998. "It's (the inquiry) going to be under way soon. I need to meet with the doctor (Ginwala) first and will avail more details on Monday," he said. Maseko said he would address a press conference on Monday outlining the details and format of the enquiry.

Source: Polity

No comments:

Post a Comment