Tuesday, January 21, 2003

Van Schalkwyk: Statement on Roodefontein development Van Schalkwyk: Statement on Roodefontein development

I became aware of the Roodefontein development and the possible controversy following media reports relating to the development. It was my initial impression that the controversy, which surrounded the development, was based on a usual conflict between competing and vested interests of role-players, as is the case with most such developments.

On two occasions, I enquired from Mr David Malatsi whether he had acted correctly and properly in dealing with the Roodefontein application and he gave me his firm assurance that he had. When Mr Malatsi was appointed Deputy Minster of Social Development in the National Government, I asked Mr Johan Gelderblom as the Acting Minister of Environmental Affairs and Development Planning to investigate this matter fully and report to me. After one of Mr Gelderblom's reports to me, I contacted the Chief Secretary of the New National Party in the Western Cape, Mr Freddie Adams, and enquired from him whether the party had received any donations that could be considered to be out of the ordinary.

On Monday, 23 December 2002 I met with Mr Adams and he responded to my earlier queries. It became clear to me that there was reason for grave concern. Both Mr Marais and Mr Malatsi will be suspended from all party activities, including party caucuses, with immediate effect pending the conclusion of the Public Protector's investigation and any other party actions, which may arise there from.

Source: Polity

No comments:

Post a Comment